Tuesday, 20 March 2018

#52Ancestors Week 12 "Misfortune"

#52Ancestors Week 12 “Misfortune”
Thomas Wadey 1859-1924 (Great Great Uncle)
Thomas Wadey was the second son of Stephen Edwin Wadey (1829-1904) Stephen's story and Mary Ann Johnson (1830-1876) born 1859 in Brighton and baptised at St Nicholas Church Brighton on 29th May 1859.
Misfortune came early to Thomas at the age of 2 ½ he was walking across the road with his father Stephen when he was hit by a pony and cart being driven “furiously”
The Brighton Guardian on 23rd December 1861 printed to following transcript from Brighton Borough Bench
Monday December 23rd
Present A Bigge and W Alger Esqrs.
John Whiting and Thomas Terry, two middle-aged men. Dressed as labourers, were placed in the dock on the charge of driving a pony and cart in a furious manner, and    running over a child     
The Chief Officer said the child which was run over was named Thomas Wadey, and was only two and a half years old. After the accident it was take to the Hospital, and was found to have received serious injury.  He had sent two or three times to the Hospital to make enquiries, and this morning Mr Rogers, the house surgeon, had sent to say that the child was now progressing favourably.
Stephen Wadey, sworn;  I am a chimney sweep, and live in Circus Street.  On Saturday, at about two o’clock, I was coming down Market Street with my little child, and I was crossing over the road towards Castle Square.  My little child was walking at my side.  The prisoners must have been driving from Castle square towards Market street, for they went up Market street.  I was not looking before the accident happened, so I cannot tell you the pace.  The child was knocked down, and the wheel went over it.    It was so much hurt that I was obliged to take it to the hospital.
William Benham sworn;  I live at 113 Western Road.  I was crossing this road on Saturday afternoon, and I saw the prisoners driving a pony and cart at a very furious pace.  They appeared to be coming from across the Steine.  I had some difficulty in getting out of the way myself.  The pony was galloping, and it was the noise that first attracted my attention.  I was driving, and if I had not had a lively horse I should not have been able to get out of the way.  When they had passed me I looked round, and I saw the pony going towards the last witness.  The little child was walking a foot or so behind him, and before he could pick it up the pony and knocked it down and the wheel had gone over it.  This was a fast pony, and was going at quite twelve or fourteen miles an hour.
Henry Chamberlain sworn; I live at 9 Rose Hill terrace, and am employed at Mr Hannington’s. I saw this accident occur.  The pony was going at the top of its speed, land the men did not make the least attempt to stop it till they had run over the child.  The off wheel of the cart went over it, and I think the child must have been killed if the pony had not been going at such great speed.
Samuel Duly sworn; I was coming down St James’s street on Saturday afternoon, and I saw this pony and cart coming down the street at a fearful speed.  The people were running away in every direction.  The men in the cart were rolling against each other, and made no attempt to stop the pony. When I got down into Castle square I was that this accident had happened.  I should think the pony was going quite as fast as Mr Benham states.
Police constable Stoffel, sworn; I came up just after this accident.  I saw that the child was very much hurt,- I couldn’t tell whether it was dead or not , - and also that the men were both the worse for liquour, so I took them in charge and brought them here.
Mr Bigge: What do you propose to do Mr White?
The Chief Officer: I must leave it in the hands of the magistrates now, Sir.
Mr Bigge said it was a great mercy that the men were not charged with manslaughter.
The Chief Officer mentioned that they both bore a good character, Terry had a wife and six children,
Whiting admitted that he was driving the pony fast, but said he did not see the child till he was close on it, land the tried to pull up, but could not.
Mr Bigge said this was a very serious charge, and he thought the best course would be to remand both prisoners til to-morrow, to see how the child went on.
Prisoners applied to be admitted to bail, but Mr Bigge refused to grant the application.

The next day they  were both found guilty and fined 40s each plus costs.  The court was told that Thomas was “fast recovering from his injuries”.  40 shillings equates to around 10 days wages at the time.

Thomas recovered from his brush with death and continued to live in Circus Street with his parents until his marriage in the summer of 1891 to Mary Ann Hopkins.  The 1891 census shows Thomas as cab driver / groom, 1901 he is shown as a fly proprietor living in Upper Lewes Road.  A fly be a type of pony and cart!  

 28th July 1903 records show Thomas taking over the license for The Liverpool Arms in Gloucester Place, Brighton

The James Grey collection has a photo taken in 1913, I presume showing Thomas outside his pub.  1914 a new licencee is shown so Thomas and his wife left the Inn sometime between 1913 and 1914 ten years after taking it over.  Have no further information for Thomas who died 1924,   
Unfortunately the pub along with other buildings were demolished in 1935 to make way for Telephone House that was completed in 1938

No comments:

Post a Comment